donderdag 16 september 2010

Hairpin lace experiments

After my first experiments with small hairpin lace I wanted to try another yarn: a mercerized cotton for a size 2 crochet hook. All my experiments are with a piece of hairpin lace with 50 loops at both sides. Then I know what size the lace will be with different yarn and patterns, so when I need a bigger piece of lace I can make it the correct size. The distance of my loom was 1 cm. I made a different edge this time. The size of this lace is 2 cm (5/8inch). It looks very pretty on the crazy block I'm working on. But I'm not going to use it, the seam was already embroidered! This second experiment is much wider, the distance of my loom was 2 cm. I used bows of double crochet on the edge, it reminds me of peacock feathers. The size of this lace is 4 cm (1,5 inch).
I liked the smaller size, so I made another piece with the distance of the loom at 1 cm. I had seen some rickrack hairpin lace online, but I didn't know where. So I had to try . . . and try again . . . and again! It took some time, but I'm happy with the result. The size of the rickrack is 2 cm (3/4 inch).
If you want to know more about hairpin lace, just read my first post about it where I wrote about a few helpful tutorials.

7 opmerkingen:

  1. This form of lacemaking is really lovely I did read your earlier blog and it doesn't look really hard.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I love your hairpin lace! It looks so delicate and pretty!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Prachtig kant ! knap zeg, dat je dat zelf maakt!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. So lovely! I really like the 2nd one (the larger red) - the twisting part is very elegant.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Hi
    I liked all your hairpin laces and experiments.
    My mother had made shawl with it.
    Best wishes

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen