Last week Sharon told us
there’s a re-run of Take A Stitch
Tuesdayin the TAST facebook group. I told myself I already
finished all stitches but one (140 threaded cable chain stitch), so no need to
stitch along this time. But then I remembered the unfinished TAST samplers, should
I add some stitches from time to time?
The theme for the third Quirky
Dutch Summer week is playing with shadow. It reminded me of a photo I took in
my garden a few years ago. Our Hedera looked very bad that year and the sun was
shining through, making a beautiful stained glass like shadow on our new tiles.
First I collaged a
background in my red altered book. I took a photo before I added a watered down
acrylic layer of paint.
I attached the photo at
the left and doodled around. Then I added the letters, schaduw is Dutch for
shadow. I wrote the story of this spread with a black permanent marker and
added some white with a Sakura gelly roll pen. In the upper right corner I
stamped a cute birdy, which reminds me of a blackbird that was nesting in our
Hedera years before I took the shadow photo. I also added an I’m in the garden sign at the bottom of the right page. Just click the photo to have a closer look.
Last month I had a swap
with my friend Marjan. I saw the cute bow on a watercolour background at her Flickr page and told her I
wanted to swap it. She wanted my tangled ATC in return. Thanks for this great
I removed more than half
of the pages. Of course I keep those removed pages for experiments. I’ll
decorate the outside of my book when it’s filled from cover to cover.
QDS #2 is called Masking
with Watercolor. Marcia Beckett was the guest blogger for this challenge, she
showed us one of her favourite watercolour techniques to get shapes with crisp
edges. This is my first try with contact paper on watercolour paper (bottom) and one
of the removed pages from my book with gesso (top).
I used blue and yellow
The result on the page
with gesso. I could remove the contact paper very easy, but the gesso was not such a
good idea. No crisp edge here.
The result on watercolour
It was badly damaged when
I removed the contact paper.
A second try in my
watercolour journal with a better quality paper.
The wet watercolour paint
looks very nice.
The result was much better, . . .
. . . but some of the paper was
Time for a third try. I used freezer paper on watercolour paper.
I used purple and green
I forgot to take a photo
of the result, before using it. This is the first spread in my book. I painted
the background with black acrylic paint. Then I cut the experiment and attached
it with double sided sticky tape. I added the date and doodled with a black