This morning I was browsing some old Ariadnes (magazines for embroidery, knitting and crochet) for some inspiration. I wanted to combine Persian openwork and the raised stem stitch band to make 'real' Casalguidi. There were some lovely examples of Persian openwork, I just had to try some. The first one reminds me of the quilt block Rail Fence. It was very easy, just 3 rows of 13 straight stitches over 4 threads. The next one was stitched on the back of the fabric! Here you can see the result.
And this is the back of it. It is done in herringbone stitches, 4 stitches over 2 x 6 threads. Then they move, the next 4 stitches are halfway the first. After that they move back.
My second part of Casalguidi is a raised stem stitch band. I never did this before, but with the help of Sharon's tutorial and my embroidery book (Beginner's Guide to Stumpwork by Kay Dennis) I succeeded. First I couched 4 threads of cotton in 3 different curves and covered it with satin stitches with 3 threads of DMC. Then I made the foundation stitches with 2 threads of DMC. First I had some trouble with those, so I used a tapestry needle to make sure the stitches where not to tight. After stitching 5 stitches I removed the first 2 stitches. It worked great for me! Then it was time for the stem stitches with 2 threads of DMC. I read somewhere you needed 3 to 4 times the length of the base, so I used 4 times the length and an inch extra for securing the thread. I needed 11 of those, for I made 11 rows of stem stitches!
I saw this lovely biscornu 6 months ago and started the embroidery. My edge was inspired by the same biscornu. A few days ago I found it again and I did the last stitching. I also made 2 single cupcakes to make a matching scissor fob. And now they are finally ready! When I was looking for the link to the pattern, I found out it was a retired freebie, but you can buy it now.
Casalguidi is the April challenge for stitch explorer. It's completely new to me, so I started with pulled and drawn thread embroidery. The first row is the hemstitch, the second row is the hemstitch again, but now I removed 4 threads. I secured those threads, with the help of this tutorial. The third row is the mesh stitch and the last part is done in waffle stitch. I altered it a bit halfway.
It's finished!! This is Assisi pushed in my own direction. Below you can see all the colours I used. I did not plan the stitching, the ideas came while working on it. I practiced a lot of different stitches: herringbone stitch, (half) chevron stitch, bullion knots, French knots, cast on stitch, buttonhole stitch, chain stitch and variations, Algerian eyes, fly stitch, cross stitch, Cretan stitch, bonnet stitch, woven and whipped wheels, Basque stitch, satin stitch, wheatear stitch, Portuguese stem stitch, (spiral) trellis stitch, arrowhead stitch, buttonhole bar stitch and drizzle stitches.
Added: I turned this embroidery into an ornament, just take a look here.
I want to show you one of my very first quilts. It's my first stained glass quilt and I finished it in September 2002. There's not enough quilting done, I only quilted the seams. When I was making this one, my oldest daughter was learning Latin, so we decided to give it a Latin name. I made the label for this quilt on foundation.
This dragon is my next project in Assisi. I found the drawing when I was looking for a dragon to embroider on an ATC for Hannah. I embroidered the outline in purple with a backstitch on off-white fabric with some purple marbles. Then I started to fill the background with different stitches. The upper half will be done in red and pink and the lower half in green. So halfway I want them to mingle. I hope I can finish it before the next challenge starts.