dinsdag 29 november 2011
I wanted to do some applique, but didn't want to start a new project. Then I remembered a 12 inch block I made many years ago. It's called Climbing Rose and it was part of a series of rose patterns by Leta Brazell. At the time I needed to practice some applique leaves for another project and this was the perfect block for it. Now I printed the other patterns too, so I can make a quilt with 4-6 blocks.
maandag 28 november 2011
zondag 27 november 2011
The whipped wheel and French knots are embroidered with Stef Francis perle 5. The backstitch border is stitched with 2 threads of stranded DMC. I added the embroidery to the cardstock with double sided sticky tape, but made a mistake when I cut it!
zaterdag 26 november 2011
For this ATC I made a combination of trapunto and embroidery. Instead of quilting the cupcake, I embroidered it in Portuguese stemstitch. Then I stuffed it from the back and added the French knots and leaves in woven picot. The stem is a padded satin stitch. There's a bigger photo of this ATC at my Flickr-page. This is the second ATC I made for Janet for the July swap at Stitchin Fingers. Unfortunately it's gone astray again!!!
vrijdag 25 november 2011
This week's zentangle challenge at I am the diva is a guest post by Chris from Tangled Up in Art. The challenge was to create a traditional black and white tangle tile with a single red "thread" running through it. When I read the word "thread", I immediately thought embroidery and that's what I did. After tangling my tile I embroidered the string in Portuguese stemstitch with red DMC 80.
woensdag 23 november 2011
. . . is the Dutch title of the old library book I'm altering. In English the title would be 'A paper voice'. I already wrote about the altered page with Punzel here. On these 2 pages I made rubbings with crayons and some gesso pages from my studio journal. Then I ironed them with a piece of baking paper to set the colours.
This is a little detail of the right page.
Here I ironed some fusible webbing to the pages. Then I added blue and yellow watercolour paint.
This page is my interpretation of Suz's experiment with leaves and watercolour paint. My red/orange background was completely dry when I added the leaves. I just closed the book and put some rubber bands around it to keep the leaves on the page while the green watercolour paint was drying. The next day I painted the edges of the leaves in black watercolour paint and removed them.
dinsdag 22 november 2011
This is the front side of my cover. The pattern is one of Sharon's Friday freebies. I used backstitch, stemstitch, open chain stitch and raised close herringbone. Now I have to sew all pages to the cover to finish my fabric book.
If you missed the first TAST challenges, there's a new one next year. You can join here.
maandag 21 november 2011
zondag 20 november 2011
zaterdag 19 november 2011
vrijdag 18 november 2011
I finally decided which fabric to use for the cover of my TAST fabric book. On the front I'm stitching one of Sharon's Friday Freebies. First I wanted to use the stitches of this challenge for the cover too, but it didn't work. So I tried another stitch that was new to me, the open chain stitch also known as square chain stitch. The other line is a stem stitch. Sharon is thinking about a rerun of the TAST challenge, read all about it on her blog.
donderdag 17 november 2011
This was a fun ATC swap. First I had to cut a few inchies from a watercolour experiment and glue 6 of them on an ATC. Then it was time to draw some tangles on it. I used the inchies from my crayon experiment. It was the same sheet as I used for my inchies Resist & Waves and Resist & Paradox. On this ATC I used Mooka. Here's the pretty ATC Joan made for me.
woensdag 16 november 2011
There was a link party on Deze is ook leuk! to celebrate the 1000th post. I thought it was fun to share the link to my music tape basket. Last Friday I saw I was the lucky winner of Hermine's package! Yesterday it arrived in my mailbox. Inside there were some cute stamps . . .
. . . and some pretty ribbon. I think I'm going to use the blue one in my next CQ project.
zondag 13 november 2011
vrijdag 11 november 2011
woensdag 9 november 2011
Today I made the last stitches on my Gorse Fairies! It's finally finished after almost 30 years. I introduced this embroidery on my blog in January 2010. It was also the last goal for this year, so I can start thinking about a new project . . . or finally finish my TAST fabric book!
dinsdag 8 november 2011
I knitted my first Christmas ball designed by Arne & Carlos. I used the pattern in the latest issue of 'Handwerken Zonder Grenzen' and knitting yarn from my stash. It's slightly bigger than a tennis ball. It's knitted on 5 needles. It was the first time I tried this and I didn't knit the snowflake pattern. I'll try that next time.
maandag 7 november 2011
I was finally brave enough to try the new zentangle Punzel for challenge 45 at I am the diva. The last few weeks I've been painting backgrounds with watercolour paint in an old book. I used one of them as the background for Punzel. This was my first attempt at this zentangle, I need to practice a little more!
zondag 6 november 2011
Last Friday I saw this stitch here and thought it would be great to use on an inchie. I found the instructions for it in "The Embroidery Stitch Bible". I used DMC broder special for the Norwich stitch and DMC Jewell effects for the running stitches.
zaterdag 5 november 2011
These are the ATC's I made for an autumn ATC swap. First I made the background on a piece of watercolour paper. I drew some leaves and other lines with glue and let it dry. Then I added some watercolour paint. The idea for this technique came from Suz.
Then I cut the background in ATC size and had some partly leaves on 3 of them.
I added some stamped leaves . . .
. . . and some ink to the edges.
With a scrap from the background I made this apple inchie.