zaterdag 24 oktober 2009

Laidwork foundation embroidery 2

A week ago I found these couched circles on the Handembroidery Network blog. These can be useful in the Stitch Explorer challenge so I made one in yellow and purple. It worked very easy and I know how to use it in this challenge.But I was already working on a different kind of laidwork foundation inspired by my new book ‘Chinese embroidery’ by Josiane Bertin-Guest. I used a fish from this pattern and reduced the size. First I made split stitches around the body. I made the foundation with 2 strands of DMC in 2 needles, so I could alternate them after each stitch. This way I have no long threads on the back.
I drew the stitches for the second layer on a piece of paper you use for making clothes. I secured it on the fabric with a piece of thread.
I made the stitches through the paper.
Then I had to tear the paper careful and remove it. I used a pair of tweezers for it.
I used long and short stitches for the head, a French knot for the eye and satin stitches for the bubbles. It’s not finished yet, I have to do the fin and the tail of my fish.
Update: you can see the finished fish here.

4 opmerkingen:

  1. This is the best thing I've seen in a while! Great work.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Lovely and Well Done !!!
    Did you find it challenging removing the paper ?
    After the paper was removed did it alter the stitching in any way ?
    Just curious since I have given thought to trying this method but I'm a bit reluctant.
    Thanks for sharing !!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Thank you both for your comments.

    My 1st Bambina:
    First I was a bit worried when removing the paper, but it went very well. The stitches stayed in good shape. I teared the paper around each stitch carefully before I removed it with my tweezers.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. That's a great idea, using the paper for the zig-zag pattern!

    It's such a CUTE fish!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen