zondag 24 november 2013

Twisted satin stitch

TAST stands for Take A Stitch Tuesday, a challenge at Pin Tangle.

A few days ago I saw Queenie’s experiments with satin stitch, she made a double twist. Of course I had to try that, so here’s my twisted satin stitch with a double twist in perle 8. I played with the tension of the twist, loose at the left and tighter at the right.
Then I tried the double twist with a bead between the twists. The beads are locked, so they behave nicely!
Here I made a twist over 2 satin stitches. I think this looks pretty in 2 different colours. The threads are perle 8.
Again a twist over 2 satin stitches, but this time with a bead. I alternated the place of the bead by adding the bead before or after the twist.
I came up with this nice border when I was playing with the size of the 2 parts of the twisted satin stitch. The thread is Caron Watercolours.
Of course I took some step by step photos as a reminder. Here you can see I first made a small satin stitch. Then I came up again at the left and below for the twisted part.
It looked much better with a double twist.
I mirrored the second part of the repeat. I came up at the right and below for the twisted part and I twisted it the other way.
Again a second twist.
In this row I added a bead before and after the twist. The thread is perle 12.
This is a detail of my last row. A double twist with a variation over 2 satin stitches. 
I took step by step photos again.
The first twist under the left satin stitch.
The second twist under the right satin stitch.
And going to the backside at the top of the right satin stitch.
My complete sampler.
Just click the photos to enlarge them.

6 opmerkingen:

  1. You write such clear instructions & your detailed photos are perfect teachers in themselves. Notes about the thread used are the icing on the cake. Please don't ever stop and thank you so very much.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. WOW ! What a wonderful experiment which has produced stunning results. The twisting creates lovely curves which would be great for sewing words which I have always found difficult. Many thanks for sharing your experimental creations. Marion

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. There is no end to your skills and your open mind to what can be done to a basic stitch!
    It is hard to pick a favourite, but I especially like the two coloured double twist over two satin stitches, and the border is most attractive.
    I join in Bren's plea and ask you to never stop teaching us!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. another great collection of stitch variations here very inspiring

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Wonderful collection of stitches, Great colours!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Beautiful samples. thanks for sharing and detailing. never would have thought of twisting over two satin stitches great idea looks very pretty.
    Chitra

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen