zondag 3 november 2013

Buttonhole picot

TAST stitch 87 and 88 are 2 versions of buttonhole picot. TAST stands for 
Take A Stitch Tuesday, a challenge at Pin Tangle.

The first version is made with a bullion knot. I tried it with perle 8 and a milliners needle, but my thread tangled after the second bullion and I had to cut it. I almost forgot to take a photo before frogging it.
Then I flipped through my embroidery books. I found buttonhole picot in The Embroidery Stitch Bible. The instructions were a bit different and I hoped this would help me for my second try.
Well, the first picot was neat, but it was beginners luck. I couldn’t get the knots close to the buttonhole stitch anymore. So again, this row was frogged.
Time to switch to the second variation with chain stitches. This is part of the first row in perle 5. I made 2 chain stitches, just like in my next rows. This variation works much better for me!
A progress photo of crossed buttonhole stitches with chain stitch picots. I made the picot after the first half of the stitch, so it appears between the crosses. The thread is perle 8.
A row with wool, this works very nice.
And a row inspired by Queenie’s stitches. The thread is perle 8.
Take a closer look at my buttonhole picot sampler here.

1 opmerking:

  1. Once you got over the first problems you have made some lovely Buttonhole Picots. Your placement of the Picots are much better than mine; they make a nice end to the slope in those rows of green stitches. Lovely!
    Maybe the very best way to learn is to sit next to the teacher and watch and copy. More than often we have to rely on photos, drawings or videos, though. I find that I can understand a stitch best if I look at several alternatives. The illustrations in The Embroidery Stitch Bible are very clear. One reason is that in a drawing there are never any fibres or fluff that obstructs the view.
    I have now worked the second version, with Chain stitches, and find it much easier. As for the look, version 1 makes a nice 'curly worm' picot.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen