dinsdag 19 augustus 2014

Closed herringbone or double backstitch

TAST stitch 124 is closed herringbone stitch. TAST stands for Take A Stitch Tuesday, an embroidery challenge at Pin Tangle.

This stitch is not new to me, I used it from time to time as a filling stitch. You can see that in my ATC Blueprint and my embroidery Birth. Sharon wrote that if you stitched the closed herringbone on the back, you can use it for shadow work. So that’s what I did. First I read a lot about it. I found good info online:

But most of my info came from old Dutch embroidery books and magazines. I used the patterns from these magazines.
This leaf was a pattern for a curtain. Luckily I had a coupon of a polyester curtain. I stitched this leaf at the backside in closed herringbone stitch in cotton a broder #16. I secured my thread by weaving it through the threads at the edge, so it’s not visible in the project I’m going to use it for.
This pretty pattern was for a hanky. I used part of an old woman’s dress and 2 threads of stranded floss. I stitched the lines in backstitch on the good side and turned it into a whipped stem stitch at the back to secure my threads. This will be part of the same project as the leaf.
I took these photos when the embroidery was still in my hoop. The blue water soluble pen was not removed yet.
You can take a closer look at my embroidery  here and here.

14 opmerkingen:

  1. Heerlijk hè, die oude bladen!
    Groetjes,
    Paula

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Inderdaad, Er staat veel meer in dan ik me kan herinneren!

      Verwijderen
  2. Nice work,Annet. This stitch is used in chikankari work.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I knew it was used in India too, but didn't know the name. Thanks for telling me!

      Verwijderen
  3. very pretty, I used to do a bit of shadow work many years ago I love the delicate look it gives

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I love the look of this too, it was not as difficult as I thought it would be.

      Verwijderen
  4. You have shown us all how wonderful the Closed Herringbone is when used in Shadow work. Fixing the ends of threads so they are not visible is of course an important part of the work.
    Thank you for sharing all your information.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Well, this was my solution in fixing the thread ends. I have no idea how to do it so both sides are pretty!

      Verwijderen
  5. I have always loved shadow work and have used it many times in the past, but not recently. Good to see that all again.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. It was on my to-do-list for a long time, so I was very happy it was part of TAST.

      Verwijderen
  6. You have achieved a beautiful shadow effect with this stitch. Lovely work.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. closed herringbone as shadow work or chikankari work looks beautiful. we have whole tunic designs made in this stitch. your sample looks beautiful neat and perfect.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thank you, Chitra. I think this stitch will look very nice on a tunic.

      Verwijderen