For my next experiment I used tube beads with green and orange variegated Sulky cotton 30. I started at the bottom with green and a tube bead. Before I made the knotted loop I attached a second tube bead to my thread. Then I made a knotted loop stitch without beads. I repeated this 5 more times. Then I only made stitches without beads, alternating the size and direction of the stitches.
This is a piece of ribbon I attached to the fabric with backstitches at the edges. Then I made the knotted loop stitches between the tulips with 2 threads of yellow stranded DMC.
For my last experiment I used orange variegated Sulky cotton 30 again. First I made a square of backstitches. I started the first knotted loop stitch in a corner. It looks like pulled thread embroidery!
If you want to see my complete sampler, just take a look at my Flickr-page.