Saturday, May 7, 2011

Casalguidi ornament

A few weeks ago I saw Janet's Casalguidi. It reminded me of the first raised stem stitch band I made for the Stitch Explorer challenge. It was time to finish it and try a few new stitches from Sharon's stitch files. I started with 2 new pulled thread stitches: waffle stitch and diagonal cross filling. Then I added 2 stitches from Sharon's stitch files: square eyelets and whipped spokes. At the bottom I attached a blue wooden bead with needle weaving in a rayon thread.

The rest of the stitches are all French knots in different threads, except for a few cream drizzle stitches in the centre. The border is just 2 rows of Portuguese stem stitches. I stretched a piece of shiny cream fabric over a small CD with a piece of batting and then I stretched my embroidery over it. I used the same fabric for the back. Then I attached an organza hanging loop and stitched both pieces together. I hided those wonky stitches with whipped spokes to make a nice edge. The size of this ornament is 3 1/4 inch or 8 1/2 cm.

There's a bigger photo of this ornament at my Flickr-page.

5 comments:

  1. Dit is echt een fantastisch geheel geworden door de toegevoegde steken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work, your photo's are wonderfully closeup, Thanks for sharing. Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! I have to admit that I wasn't too fond of the "snake" when I first saw it, but I knew you'd so something wonderful. You did! I love your creativity! (I need to do a lot more practicing/samplers!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to see the close ups, Annet. The woven stitch from the bead is a really cool idea. The whole piece is very imaginative. Dianne.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read all comments and try to reply at the same post.