dinsdag 28 januari 2014

Old shell chain stitches

TAST stitch 97 and 98 is shell chain stitch and beaded shell chain stitch
TAST stands for Take A Stitch Tuesday, an embroidery challenge at Pin Tangle.

I didn’t plan to blog today, because last week we got 2 new stitches from Sharon. But I think you’ll like my old shell chain stitch samples, so here they are. These rows are part of my TAST 2010 sampler, which I stitched in November 2010. The first row is perle 5. The second row is a buttonholed variation with perle 8. My thread wasn’t long enough to stitch the complete row, but I left it that way, so I could see what I had done. The third row is beaded shell chain stitch in perle 12 with 2,6 mm beads. The bottom row is Stef Francis perle 5. It's a bit difficult to see, but I alternated the second chain stitch from left to right.
At the time I had no idea what to stitch on the remaining part of my sampler, so I made a cup of tea and watched my husband gathering his supplies for our new bathroom radiator. One of his supplies was a bundle of hemp! He had enough of it, so I could use some in my embroidery. I couched it with shell chain stitches in blue perle 5 and brown perle 8 and added some beads. When I showed it to my husband, he told me I made sushi! Take a look here if you would like to see my complete TAST 2010 sampler.
My last old sample is part of the last sampler I stitched for TAST 2010 with a repeat of many TAST 2010 stitches. I used the shell chain stitch as a filling in perle 8 and added a buttonhole wheel cup and 2 drizzle stitches.
There are more old samples of shell chain stitch from other participants in the Flickr TAST group.

4 opmerkingen:

  1. A fantastic collection of Shell Chain Stitches. I have seen the basic stitch in Totsuka Embroidery Stitch Book No 3, and there are some other variations of buttonholed chain stitches but not the combination you have made.
    Oh, I love the sushi! I just wonder what the filling is; could it be blue fined tuna?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. some great shell chains and what a great idea to use DH`s hemp

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I liked your buttonholed shell chain stitch variation, I tried it on my sampler, and have linked your post there.
    Thank you,
    Chitra

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thank your Chitra. I'm glad you got inspired by my stitches.

      Verwijderen