Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Old shell chain stitches

TAST stitch 97 and 98 is shell chain stitch and beaded shell chain stitch
TAST stands for Take A Stitch Tuesday, an embroidery challenge at Pin Tangle.

I didn’t plan to blog today, because last week we got 2 new stitches from Sharon. But I think you’ll like my old shell chain stitch samples, so here they are. These rows are part of my TAST 2010 sampler, which I stitched in November 2010. The first row is perle 5. The second row is a buttonholed variation with perle 8. My thread wasn’t long enough to stitch the complete row, but I left it that way, so I could see what I had done. The third row is beaded shell chain stitch in perle 12 with 2,6 mm beads. The bottom row is Stef Francis perle 5. It's a bit difficult to see, but I alternated the second chain stitch from left to right.
At the time I had no idea what to stitch on the remaining part of my sampler, so I made a cup of tea and watched my husband gathering his supplies for our new bathroom radiator. One of his supplies was a bundle of hemp! He had enough of it, so I could use some in my embroidery. I couched it with shell chain stitches in blue perle 5 and brown perle 8 and added some beads. When I showed it to my husband, he told me I made sushi! Take a look here if you would like to see my complete TAST 2010 sampler.
My last old sample is part of the last sampler I stitched for TAST 2010 with a repeat of many TAST 2010 stitches. I used the shell chain stitch as a filling in perle 8 and added a buttonhole wheel cup and 2 drizzle stitches.
There are more old samples of shell chain stitch from other participants in the Flickr TAST group.

4 comments:

  1. A fantastic collection of Shell Chain Stitches. I have seen the basic stitch in Totsuka Embroidery Stitch Book No 3, and there are some other variations of buttonholed chain stitches but not the combination you have made.
    Oh, I love the sushi! I just wonder what the filling is; could it be blue fined tuna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. some great shell chains and what a great idea to use DH`s hemp

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your buttonholed shell chain stitch variation, I tried it on my sampler, and have linked your post there.
    Thank you,
    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your Chitra. I'm glad you got inspired by my stitches.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them and try to reply at the same post within a few days.