Saturday, April 25, 2009

Casalguidi 2

My second part of Casalguidi is a raised stem stitch band. I never did this before, but with the help of Sharon's tutorial and my embroidery book (Beginner's Guide to Stumpwork by Kay Dennis) I succeeded. First I couched 4 threads of cotton in 3 different curves and covered it with satin stitches with 3 threads of DMC. Then I made the foundation stitches with 2 threads of DMC. First I had some trouble with those, so I used a tapestry needle to make sure the stitches where not to tight. After stitching 5 stitches I removed the first 2 stitches. It worked great for me! Then it was time for the stem stitches with 2 threads of DMC. I read somewhere you needed 3 to 4 times the length of the base, so I used 4 times the length and an inch extra for securing the thread. I needed 11 of those, for I made 11 rows of stem stitches!



Update: I added more stitches and turned this into an ornament in May 2011.

4 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them and try to reply at the same post within a few days.