Monday, May 9, 2011


After all those finished projects lately, it was time to start something new! The only embroidery I'm working on right now is my Gorse Fairies, a very old cross stitch kit. This was the perfect time to finally start working on my samplers for Sharon's stitch files. I use a big piece of 28 count linen and when it's filled with samplers, I'm going to attach them to the worksheets. That allows me to stitch the samplers close together. I started with the backstitch in stranded DMC, a variegated silk thread and perle 5, 8 and 12. The size is 2 1/2 x 4 inch. Here I used the backstitch as a filling stitch in different ways and threads.

Some blackwork designs.

The quilt block cardtrick in backstitches. The squares of the blackwork design reminded me of it. It's special to me, because I used this block for the label of my first quilt.

I also remembered the Holbein motif I stitched on my chicken scratch sampler. Here I stitched it in backstitches, the purple row is a variegated thread.


  1. Lovely! It's quite interesting to see the different threads and the different ways of using one simple stitch. Thank you for sharing!

  2. I love all the things you have been able to do with the simple backstitch.


Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.