Sunday, January 26, 2014

Linked chain stitch

TAST stitch 95 is linked chain stitch. TAST stands for Take A Stitch Tuesday, 
an embroidery challenge at Pin Tangle.

Last week I prepared a new 14 count Aida sampler to use as  a doodle cloth. The linked chain stitches are my first experiments on it.
These are the first rows in yellow perle 5 and green perle 8.
Here I used 2 different colours of stranded floss in 2 needles and alternated them to stitch the linked chain stitch. This would have looked much better in thicker thread like perle 5 or 8.
Two rows in perle 5. The green row is pushed in, so there’s no space between the backstitch links. In the bottom row I whipped the backstitch links with a fancy embroidery thread.
This is a progress photo of the green row. Every chain stitch is stitched around 2 touching backstitches. It produces a nice bulky line, great for sumptuous surface embroidery!
In my last row I experimented with an open chain stitch. It needed 2 backstitch links, which I stitched in a triangle shape. As usual I took some step by step photo’s as a reminder.
The first step is the same as the normal open chain stitch.
The first backstitch link.
And the second backstitch link.
Take a closer look at my complete Aida sampler here.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Fantastic stitches! I especially like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good stitching and it is good to see it in progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good selection of beautiful stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the open chain - it is looking intricate and interesting. I like your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog on the stitch varieties. The last one is really interesting.
    Perhaps it should be called Annet's stitch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them and try to reply at the same post within a few days.